Box And Subs

Looking to do a new sound setup in my 05 crew cab. I currently have a sealed, dual 10" box that goes behind my back seat. Im thinking about getting a downfire style box to go under the backseat. Ive never heard how they sound for myself, any thoughts? Im looking at putting 2 Kicker Solo-Baric 8" L7's in it if I do get it.

I have a 8" solobarac L7 in my ss its a rear firing sub and I will say this and you will call me a liar but in a ext cab truck it hits harder than a friends ss who has 2 12" subs under his rear seat. Its all about air space and cab space. here are some pics of my set up. The entire system was done by a member here uncald4 (Travis) he has sold and done a few set ups for others here he knows his stuff. I told him I wanted 12"s he said he was gonna do a single 8. I told him he was dumb but I trust him and boy was he right. I have never heard a 8 sound like this. I have 15 years as a installer and my dad had his own shop and has over 40 years of experience and he was impressed. I think you will like it.

AVH-P4200DVD head unit

Alpine 800 watt mono block amp

Kicker Solobarac 8" L7 sub

custom ported box by Gig Harbor Auto Works

SDC10078.jpg

SDC10071.jpg

a22129a6.jpg

100_0256.jpg

100_0255.jpg

100_0254.jpg

100_0253.jpg

100_0252.jpg

100_0251.jpg

100_0250.jpg

excuse my dirty carpet they are clean no :thumbs:

hope this helps we were gonna do 2 8"s but the air space need there would be no room for 2 in boxes with the right air space. Over all I am very happy with my set up its clear hits hard and all the sound stays in the cab I have very little vibration too only thing I really ever hear is the roof vibrating every now and then.

G/L

Justin

Edited by McMahan (see edit history)

I did some research:

The box im looking at getting has .5 cub ft of airspace per side. The recommended airspace for the subs is .33-.75. Sitting right in the middle.

oh right on you should be good. I had a sealed box and it hit hard but I wanted more so I went with a ported box and it made a big diffrence. My opinion in my truck a ported box sounded the best but having a crew cab you have a little more space and I think you will be fine.

Make sure you post pics when ya get it all done. I would love to see it. :thumbs:

The box and subs seem to be a pretty good match. Im deployed to Afghanistan right now, so it will be a while before I get home to put all my new toys in the truck. My dads shop is filling up with parts right now.

The box and subs seem to be a pretty good match. Im deployed to Afghanistan right now, so it will be a while before I get home to put all my new toys in the truck. My dads shop is filling up with parts right now.

lol right on I am from joelton/ashland city area i was at campbell for a few years headed to korea next month. my dads garage is filling up too be safe and ill see ya when you get back

Looking to do a new sound setup in my 05 crew cab. I currently have a sealed, dual 10" box that goes behind my back seat. Im thinking about getting a downfire style box to go under the backseat. Ive never heard how they sound for myself, any thoughts? Im looking at putting 2 Kicker Solo-Baric 8" L7's in it if I do get it.

I have two 10'' Alpine Type R's and it sounds really good. I need to put dynamat on the roof cuz when it hits hard I can hear the roof shake.

Did you reup for Korea? If you didnt - you have my condolences. Ive heard nothing but horror stories about it there. Haha. I'll be heading for FT Stewart when we redeploy.

I had two Alpine Type E 12's, in a ported box, in my wifes Mazda 6. That was pretty ridiculous.

I had two JL W7 13.5's in a ported box as well that I use to just set on my backseat when I wanted to jam/piss people off around town. They got stolen though. hahahah.

• 1 month later...

The box that I got is also a Subthump box. Im really looking forward to putting it all in.

Only 28 more days till im out of here and get to start playing with all the new toys!

I made my own box for under my seat, IF I wanted a sealed box it would of been fine for my 2 Fi ssd 12's but I ported it and it doesnt even come close to my s10's Fi BL 15" so Im going to take one 12 out when I get around to it, should sound a whole lot louder. Nothing like having a bunch of spare audio parts in a closet though. So you should be fine with 8's.

Edited by Fors (see edit history)

I had 2 12" Pioneer Premiers in a sealed downfiring box pushed by a 1200w class D mono amp. Sounded pretty good but not good enough. I really like a LOT of bass. Definitely go with a downfiring box though, it makes a HUGE difference compared to up for forward firing.