2004 Lq9 + L92 Heads +L76 Intake + Cam Build Up

BlueAKSSS

UPDATE:

Painted the engine, the Copperhead color of the truck and it turned out looking awesome. Now I'm going to pull the oil pan, front cover, and valley cover and sand blast them and clear coat them! Should set it off a bit, if the bare clear coated aluminum doesn't look right I'll find a nice gray color for them.

Check the pictures out....

DSC_0359Large.jpg

DSC_0358Large.jpg

DSC_0357Large.jpg

DSC_0356Large.jpg

DSC_0355Large.jpg

DSC_0354Large.jpg

DSC_0360Large.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st off, she's looking good man. I've always liked that color and think it will look awesome color matched to your truck. For the oil pan and timing cover, as well as any other underhood items that you want to keep the look of raw cast aluminum, Aluma Blast Paint from the Eastwood company would probably work well for you. Besides imitating the look of raw cast aluminum, it is supposed to be good to 250 deg. F and is designed for underhood items. I've used a few Eastwood products in the past and have always had good luck with them.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-aluma-blast-set.html

Looks good I knew it was going to in that copper color is nice did u spray it with rattle can or spray gun and did u use high temp paint, cause I've been wanting to paint my 440 for my roadrunner its candy red but they'res no candy red in high temp so do you think the regular candy would hold with the heat if I were to use it? Once again look amazing going to look better in that engine bay and tearing up the streets///heres a pic of it with rattle can but i'm kinda picky with my cars has to be as close to perfect as possible

post-18010-128732995186_thumb.jpg

Well I just ordered up a new Comp Cam 223/231 .610/.617 112LSA so I hope it was a good choice, I also ordered Comp pushrods and new Fel-Pro gaskets and I'm looking around for a good deal on a nice timing set. This thing is starting to come togeather, just need to assemble it once the parts get in.

Looks good Matt keep the pics coming on the progress looking real good also if you could let me know how that cam works out for you I'm starting to look at parts already for my 6.0 since I sold my cnc 243 heads to a friend to fund this 6.0 Once again looks real good

Thanks! I'll let you know how it works out!

Head gaskets came in and the cam will be here tomorrow!

DSC_0361Medium.jpg

DSC_0362Medium.jpg

Got the heads all assebled last night! Lapped the valves in and they where ready to go! Pics:

Looks good. Did you actually measure out the springs or just toss them on there? You might also want to spend the small amount of money it cost to have someone cut a good VJ being as all you did was use lapping compound. Believe it or not a lot power is in a good VJ and setting the valvetrain up balanced. Just food for thought. I would hate to see you go through all this and then have to pull the top end back off to have this done.

Good points, no I did not measure the spring height if that's what your asking, I didn't really budget for a valve job, local machine shop said around $300 do a complete assembley. I did buy ARP head bolts so I'll just pull the top end off if something goes way wrong get it fixed and buy new head gaskets and put it back together. My dad said I did everything right so IDK he's been building SBC's for his entire life. I think it'll be fine. fingersx.gif

Matt I was wondering what injectors are you going to run with that cam? Also would you happen to know what the stock ones are cause my 6.0 gots the truck intake manifold and was wondering if I run this cam like yours would I need injectors as well.

The LS3 intake has factory 42lb injectors in it, which will work for my setup. The stock truck injectors are the same for the 4.8/5.3/6.0 so you run out of injector really quick with modding a 6.0L, so no they will not work if you install just a cam you'll definitely run out of injector...

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

The new Comp cam and Pushrods came in from Comp Cams. There website said they would only ship free to the lower 48 but I choose free shipping anyways and it still gave me free UPS ground shipping to Alaska. Haha

DSC_0361Medium-1.jpg

DAmn I was kinda thinking that was goin to happen now I need more parts to the list, if you dont mind me asking where and how much did you get you intake might as well swap to the car intake while I'm at it (more waiting timeangry.gif for me) thanks in advance

Well that depends what heads your planning to run on your 6.0L. On trucks I've heard you loose torque by switching to the car style intake so keep that in mind. I got my Inatke and Heads together as a package deal off LS1tech, but intakes are easily found on ebay and other places complete with injectors and rails. Just search "LS3 intake" on ebay, if your going with L92 square port heads, if not then go with a LS2/LS6 intake I guess or a FAST intake, for Cathedral Port heads.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

yeah the 6.0 I got has the l92 heads aluminum block thats why I was asking, I never got to bolt on a ls6 intake on my 243s cnc'd on my 5.3 to see how much difference it would make,going to check into that on the but if I can get a car intake off ebay for around 250-300 and that comes with injectors like urs already cause injectors by themselves on texas speed are 420+.Will be looking around to see what I come up with thanks,Matt