Transfer Case Fluid: Atf Or Autotrak Ii?

Hi,

I'm changing all the fluids in my truck including the transfer case. I'm sure as you know, the owner's manual says to use Dexron III ATF in the AWD transfer cases and the GM Autotrack II fluid in the 4x4 transfer cases. Would it be best to just put the GM oil in the SS? I thought I read somewhere that it is, but I'm not 100% sure. The extra cost of the GM fluid doesn't matter....I just want to do whatever is best for the truck.

Thanks,

Rob

Use the Autotrax Fluid. It has the friction modifier in it for the viscous clutch set up in the AWD Transfer case. It helps keep the clutch from binding on turns. This has been a GM fix in the AWD Astro's, Bravada's and other GM AWD trucks. you can use ATF but I would recommend a Synthetic ATF and add the friction modifier for Posi- Diffs, works the same way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am going to be changing ALL the fluids in mine this weekend providing i have time. My dad is an Amsoil dealer so naturally I am goining to put Amsoil in everything except maybe the transerfer case. I will probably use this AutotracII from what you guys say it sounds like its the best thing for it. My truck has 70K on it so I think it would be a good time to service everything.

Is there any equivalant Royal Purple or Joe Gibbs fluid to the GM Auto Trak II? If not, then oh well but if there is I would like to try it.

Check out Motul Fluid Force, they have high performance liquids that exceed all other liquid standards (RP, Mobil 1, Auto Trak II, Dexron III).