Any Fiberglass Painting Experts Here?

Rays B4U

Here's my idea. I have a 95 Sea Ray 20BR that is white with blue stripes. I think it would be really sharp if the boat and trailer would match my Black SS.

What do you think about changing the blue on the boat to black and having the trailer Powder Coated black?

My biggest concern is the color change on the boat stripe. With the boat being fiberglass with gel coat would it be a major project? I read on another forum that it would need to be painted with a 2 part epoxy, and it applies the same way as a fiberglass car. The area on the boat that would be painted doesn't have and dings or gouges in the hull, so could it be as simple as scuffing the hull and having it shot?

P1010022_600x450.jpg

He is a god with Glass,  he builds sailboats for a living!!  Good luck

After looking at his website I think he would give excellent advice and I've already sent him an email.

Thanks!

Ray

@ part epoxy paint is the way to go. Look at some of there work spraying that stuff is really tricky. Much harder than auto paint. If you have alot of different angles to spray on it is more likely that it will have some orange peel to it.

So much for me being the first with the idea.

Paint it black, the boat will move faster.

Oh man, I totally forgot about Black being the faster color and did not even think of it when I started thinking about changing the strip color to black! Glad you pointed it out! I bet I get at least 10mph on the top end!

Archived