Replacing Tires On An Awd

jlane_87

Tried a search on this topic and couldn't really find anything. I have 18k miles on 50k mile tires and don't want to replace all 4 because of 1 bad tire. Has anyone experienced any problems in replacing 2 tires on an AWD? Or only 1? Discount Tire will replace 1 if the tread wear is within 2/32nds of the other tires from what I hear. Anyone with experience in this?

I *think* the allowable size difference is more than that, I think you're fine if all tires are within 1/8" of the shortest tire on the truck; but that is my opinion, I don't have a shop manual spec to back that up. I will say this though, none of the AWD trucks have tire wear issues like you describe, where just one tire goes bald - they all wear very evenly even on my truck and my alignment scares every front-end guy that's had my truck on a rack. Find whatever problem is causing your excessive single tire wear and fix it.

Mr. P. :)

I *think* the allowable size difference is more than that, I think you're fine if all tires are within 1/8" of the shortest tire on the truck; but that is my opinion, I don't have a shop manual spec to back that up. I will say this though, none of the AWD trucks have tire wear issues like you describe, where just one tire goes bald - they all wear very evenly even on my truck and my alignment scares every front-end guy that's had my truck on a rack. Find whatever problem is causing your excessive single tire wear and fix it.

Mr. P. :)

Thank you for the replies. I should have clarified why I need to replace the tire- found a pretty good gash in the tread (can see a tiny bit of one wire of the belts when I pry it open). It still rolls fine- no vibration and stays closed unless I pry it open. But I know its a time bomb waiting to explode at the worst possible time. If I bought a new tire it would have a 14/32 tread depth. The rest of them on the truck are about 10/32 (using an inaccurate means of measurment). My thought was this is close enough to just replace a pair (for matching side to side)