Awd T-case Fluid

GM AutoTrak II, the blue stuff, available at your local Chevy dealer. I believe 2 qts. fills it. I think it was around $11 a qt.

Here's a how-to by Mr. P: http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...amp;hl=transfer

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up here but GM does not recommend the Autotrak II for the NV-149 T-case. I actually went looking for some fluid today to change mine and they now use a manual transmission fluid and it's not Dextron III. The guy at GMPP pulled my vin and said the AT-II is used in everything EXCEPT the full time AWDs. I verified for myself and went with the MTF that was suggested.

Just a heads up here but GM does not recommend the Autotrak II for the NV-149 T-case. I actually went looking for some fluid today to change mine and they now use a manual transmission fluid and it's not Dextron III. The guy at GMPP pulled my vin and said the AT-II is used in everything EXCEPT the full time AWDs. I verified for myself and went with the MTF that was suggested.

!!! Will have to look into that.

Mr. P. :)

Just a little more information I dug up on this. GM stopped using the DexIII after '06 and switched to the MTF stuff in '07. The GM part number is 88861800. It's called Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid.

See, this is where things can get a little confusing. If something was OK originally, then GM changed, then changed again, what exactly does that mean for us? Mine is a 2003 with 58000 miles on it. Changed the transfer case lube to Autotrak II at 35000. Now if GM changes their recommendation again, or changes what goes into a 2007, does that mean I need to change? I don't think it's necessarily the case, unless a problem has been identified with what I'm using. It would be good to get clarification, for sure.

See, this is where things can get a little confusing. If something was OK originally, then GM changed, then changed again, what exactly does that mean for us? Mine is a 2003 with 58000 miles on it. Changed the transfer case lube to Autotrak II at 35000. Now if GM changes their recommendation again, or changes what goes into a 2007, does that mean I need to change? I don't think it's necessarily the case, unless a problem has been identified with what I'm using. It would be good to get clarification, for sure.

While I agree with you, GM never recommended Autotrak II in the NVG-149. I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just pointing out what is suggested by GM now. I didn't mean to scare anyone just help some people who might be having trouble finding what goes in it. The MTF is cheaper than the AT-II... :cheers:

While I agree with you, GM never recommended Autotrak II in the NVG-149. I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just pointing out what is suggested by GM now. I didn't mean to scare anyone just help some people who might be having trouble finding what goes in it. The MTF is cheaper than the AT-II... :cheers:

:thumbs:

Dang it all anyways!

I just swapped out the DEX III for TracII. :mad: SOB. Well I'll tell ya one thing tho... that DEX III that came out looked NASTY! :puke: Definately glad I changed it out, running the TracII for a while.

I plan on doing the front dif soon, with some kind of synthetic, but not Mobil 1. It's gonna probably need a rebuild after winter, it's not quiet... of course!

Yeah, mine took 2 quarts too. what a PITA to get that fluid in!

correct your suppost to use GMs manual trans fluid.. i was talkin about this with a gm tech team leader buddy.. and he though you could use dextron 5.. or whatever the newest one was.. he tryied to look it up the other day to find out but couldnt find it.. so im still curious on that one

ya its a pain in the ass to fill the tcase.. but u can make it really easy...pull the top drain plug out 18mm wrech....

then get your quart bottle and putt a screw on nipple.. like whats an a diff lub bottle..

then get a piece of hose about 8 or so inchs that fits tight over the nibble

but the hose in the top tcase hole... tip the quart bottle upside down and squeeze!!!!.. some put a small hole in the bottle to let air in.. either way.. just squeeeze it in.. till it starts to overflow and your done

• 3 weeks later...
Mr. P, any updates on the recommended fluid for transfer case?? I know I am running AutoTrak II. I will be doing a complete fluid change over the winter. Just looking for clarification before I do the T-case.

Thanks!

+1. When i had to put a different t-case in my cousin printed off everything about the t-case off of alldata. It said to use the blue stuff, and when i called the dealer the service man also said to use it. So who knows? Like anything elses ask ten different people a ? gonna get that many answers.