How To Disable Daytime Running Lights

elcompalaline

Well, I have a set of HIDs on my Silverado. In order for them to work properly I had to disable the Daytime Running Lights. Even if I had a regular set of bulbs I would still consider doing this, bulb life increases since they aren't on all the time. Very easy, first disconnect the negative pole of the battery. Second, open the fuse box thats inside the engine compartment and find the DRL and DRL2 fuses on the diagram on back of the cover. Once you have located their place simply pull them out. Reconnect the battery and your set. This only disables the daytime running lights, has no affect on the Auto-light feature, headlights will still come on at night and when the photocell senses low light.

Please Note-

DRLs are a safety feature on your truck to help prevent a head-on collision, do this at your own risk. Also check your area regarding any laws, some places require DRLs.

If you want your HIDs to last you should disable the photo-cell. HIDs dont like the on and off that happens at night when you put the key in and start it. I learned the hard way.

:confused: , where is the photo-cell located :dunno:

If you want your HIDs to last you should disable the photo-cell. HIDs dont like the on and off that happens at night when you put the key in and start it. I learned the hard way.

Any idea how to disable it too? Having full control over the lights would be so much better! I have not found any info on how to do it on mine, only older model trucks.

• 3 weeks later...
My DRLs have been disabled since I bought the truck.

Really? Not mine, I had to do it myself but on another note I see you are going to get HIDs right? If you do than you should look into disabling the Auto Light Feature, already went through a set on mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been interested in get HID's, but I've been following all the threads about the auto headlight sensor and this is what I found on another sight:

2007-2008 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali, Denali XL, Sierra

This PI was superseded to update model years and Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIT4328.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

**** THIS INFORMATION APPLIES TO U.S. VEHICLES ONLY ****

All requests for Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) disable are to be referred to Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC). Instruction about vehicle qualifications and requirements for DRL disable will be provided by TCSC. TCSC is GM's central record keeping location for all of these requests. TCSC toll free number is 1-800 828-6860.

**** THIS INFORMATION APPLIES TO U.S. VEHICLES ONLY ****

Requests for DRL/auto headlamp disconnects must be made by appropriate agencies. The vehicle in question must be owned by a law enforcement agency, military agency or security company. (City/State, Sheriff, FBI, CIA, DEA, Emergency Vehicles.Etc.) It is recommended the dealership obtain a letter on the agencies letterhead requesting the DRLS/auto headlamps be disabled. The letter should contain the specific vehicle identification number which will be disabled, and a statement which reads, "the DRL/auto headlamp system will be made fully operational prior to disposal/sale of the vehicle." the letter should be kept in the vehicle service file at the dealership.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Procedures to disable daytime running lamps (DRL):

Have the dealership technician call Techline at 1-800-828-6860 and request a new calibration for the truck body control module (tbcm) that will disable the DRL's. Recalibrate the TBCM with the new calibration.

Procedures to disable to auto headlamps:

Unplug the ambient light sensor and put a 600 ohm resistor in place of the sensor. The resistor will command the TBCM to turn the auto headlamps off. The headlights will now have to be manually turned on with the headlight switch.

Secure the resistor and connector to prevent rattles.etc.

Note:Vehicles equipped with Automatic HVAC (RPO CJ2) may have a light sensor that also includes the sunload sensor for the HVAC system. Make sure the resistor is wired into the ambient light sensor signal wire (Circuit 278) and ground (Circuit 1851). This can be achieved by backing out pin 2 at the light sensor and removing the terminal and adding the resistor to the wire and then splicing the other end of the resistor to the ground wire 2 inches from the light sensor.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.m up with on another site:

It's recommended that a 600 ohm resistor is used, is this the right way? Or can a a 1.5 ohm resistor be used? And does anyone have pictures or videos of how to unplug the ambient light sensor on the dash board? Any info is appreciated. :confused: