Growl Noise While Turning

i have a 2004 tahoe. it came stock awd with the borgwarner transfer case. it sucks for traction due to the fact it relied on the brakes to transfer power. so, i bought a SSS nvg 149 case and installed it. well i have two problems with it. first one is it keep blowing out rear seals. it will work great then all the sudden just puke fluid out the back. the vent is good so its not that and i serviced it right. i read about a bushing. where is it located here is a break down just tell me what number http://www.denalitrucks.com/documents/serv...-149%20view.htm .

the second is when i turn it growls. it started doing it the moment i installed it. remember i came stock awd and I've never had this sound until the t-case swap. so it tell me its the case. I'm not sure what to check for this one.

now, when i got the case i took it apart to inspect it after pulling the drain plug and finding black crap oil in it. i found most the bearings rusted mostly surface rust. i oil part and cleaned part and it all started working good. i could move the viscous coupler inside and outer body separately as its suppose to. it wasn't easy but it would move. all the bearing were freed up and spinning freely before i reinstalled everything.

with that said do they make a re-man kit for these?

Mike

From what I've been told - the viscous coupler is filled with a very dark purple fluid, and if that is what you drained from the transfer case it have been the special lubricant for it; it's possible you may have received a transfer case with a bad viscous coupler. :(

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

im on my second transfer case and my truck has growled like that from the 1st day I got it specially when turning left in my drive way italked to one of the techs at my work and they said something about flushing the power steering and replaceing it with synthetic p/s fluid

im on my second transfer case and my truck has growled like that from the 1st day I got it specially when turning left in my drive way italked to one of the techs at my work and they said something about flushing the power steering and replaceing it with synthetic p/s fluid

i guess there is a bulletin on this too. so all i need to do is replace the bushing and throw it back in. so about that, how do you replace the stupid thing. it looks like a cam bearing inside there.

i found a trans shop that said they could do it for $20. is that fair? he said something about a bushing cutter and then he would put the new one in. sounded like he was going to use a hammer and a big punch to put it in. is this ok?

well the housing is too far gone for a new bushing. i tore the old one out. the new one just fell right in..........and out and in and out. just so happens i had a np246 around and the rear housing is the same part number as the the np149. so I'm going to use it.

growl seems to go away when it has enough fluid. we'll see how this thing does now. but i have a weird bang in my floor board when i stall it up with boost. is there anything i may have forgotten during the swap that is banging the floor board.

The bang may be the tranfer case mount nuts not tight allowing the case or trans to lift up. Second, the growl may be in the front differential, not in the case. I know you said you had awd before but I've never seen a factory full awd Tahoe. They had a selectable 4wd along with awd, 2wd, 4hi and 4low. The awd was not designed to be used on dry pavement for everyday driving, it will burn up the clutches in the case. I'm not aware of it using the brakes to transfer power, it has a clutch setup. Many SS owners will agree that the front diff's are known for being noisey on turns since they have torque to them all the time. It may be a situation where now that you have this torque when you didn't used to and now you are hearing a noise.

The '03 and up Yukon Denali's and Escalade's used the BW-4481, which is an 1-speed, full time AWD, open differential that worked in conjunction with traction control unlike the NVG-149's that were in the trucks for all years and YD and Esky's before '03. The regular Yukon's, Tahoe's and Suburban's could have came with the BW-4482, which is a 2 speed, full time AWD, open differential style that worked in conjunction with traction control and had a low range lock. So there are quite a few trucks running around that have the correct front differential to be used with the best of the bunch NVG case.

Edited by Bear (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
The '03 and up Yukon Denali's and Escalade's used the BW-4481, which is an 1-speed, full time AWD, open differential that worked in conjunction with traction control unlike the NVG-149's that were in the trucks for all years and YD and Esky's before '03. The regular Yukon's, Tahoe's and Suburban's could have came with the BW-4482, which is a 2 speed, full time AWD, open differential style that worked in conjunction with traction control and had a low range lock. So there are quite a few trucks running around that have the correct front differential to be used with the best of the bunch NVG case.

this is true i had the 4482 stock. full time awd with 4lo lock. its horrible for traction with any power. when i would launch at the track the front right wheel would come off the ground just a bit, when doing so all the power goes right to it. so the brakes would kick in to hold it still but wouldn't let off till the next gear. and on the streets it wasn't much better. the front tires would spin and torque steer me all over the place. with this case (149) it is way better.

the pop/bang noise i think is the cv axles. if you brake stall it, it will bang. but if you just floor it from a dig, when boost comes in it has mulitple pops. also i have a wierd scraping wind noise type of sound that i can't figure out. this sound has been there with ever case i've installed so its not the case. it comes and goes with bumps in the road. its hard to explain, but the noise is there only while moving (any speed) and in drive or nuetral. its a rotating type noise not a bad shock up and down type noise.