Finally Upgraded To The 145 Amp Alternator

SSThunder

Well today I finally took the time to upgrade my crappy stock 105 amp alternator to the 145 amp alternator since my alt has been giving me trouble and I'm also going to add Danny/MrP efans very soon. The install of the alternator was pretty simple and it fit fine with the radix. The 145 amp alternator does have a bigger pulley so my 111.5 inch belt is on pretty tight and was a PITA to get on. I took the ss for a test drive and all is well but I do expect the tight belt could cause me problems on down the road. I'm affraid the belt will cause the tensior to snap sooner or later so I plan to order an extra. I've also got an extra 111.5 and 112 inch belt so if the tensior does snap I plan to run the bigger 112 inch belt.

IMO the 112 inch belt will probably be a better belt to run with a radix and 3.0 pulley. With the old alt my 111.5 inch belt fit fine and the tensior could move if it had to, but now the tensior is pretty tight so I expect it to snap sooner or later. If I went to a 2.9 pulley the 111.5 inch belt would probably be a better fit and I might even get away with running the 111.5 inch belt with a 2.8 pulley but not sure.

Well today I finally took the time to upgrade my crappy stock 105 amp alternator to the 145 amp alternator since my alt has been giving me trouble and I'm also going to add Danny/MrP efans very soon. The install of the alternator was pretty simple and it fit fine with the radix. The 145 amp alternator does have a bigger pulley so my 111.5 inch belt is on pretty tight and was a PITA to get on. I took the ss for a test drive and all is well but I do expect the tight belt could cause me problems on down the road. I'm affraid the belt will cause the tensior to snap sooner or later so I plan to order an extra. I've also got an extra 111.5 and 112 inch belt so if the tensior does snap I plan to run the bigger 112 inch belt.

IMO the 112 inch belt will probably be a better belt to run with a radix and 3.0 pulley. With the old alt my 111.5 inch belt fit fine and the tensior could move if it had to, but now the tensior is pretty tight so I expect it to snap sooner or later. If I went to a 2.9 pulley the 111.5 inch belt would probably be a better fit and I might even get away with running the 111.5 inch belt with a 2.8 pulley but not sure.

Actually from my experience, the pulley on both alternators is the same size, however, The 145amp alt. has a bigger circumfrence than the 105, there fore the center of the pulley is higher up than on the 105, hence why you need a slightly longer belt.