Tbss Intake Swap: How To

mean05

Okay i finally did the TBSS intake swap on my truck and here is a how to if you would like to do this swap on yours also. The gains are supposed to be 15-20rwhp without losing the low end torque like when you go to an LS6...i also did a set of P & P 317 heads with the swap so i cant say what the gains are for sure...but anyways here you go and hope this is helpful to you.

here is a stock truck intake and the TBSS intake side by side...the first mod you need to make is to the fuel rail crossover...notice the bend on the passenger side of the intake prevents the fuel rails from sitting all the way down

PIC-0146.jpg

well the way to solve this was to take the crossover off...really simple to do just unscrew the star head that holds it in the rail and it pops right out. I then took it to my buddy Taylor over at Dallas Performance and he suggested we weld a -6an fitting on it and put a steel braided line insted of the metal crossover and in doing this it would allow better flow to the other rail as well. So within a matter of 30 minutes he had it cut and welded for me and i was on my way

PIC-0167.jpg

So now the rails were able to sit all the way down. For the new crossover line i just went to Performance Auto Supply and grabbed a 14" -6an line and it fit great nice and tight. So the next problem was the space between the fuel rail tabs and where they bolt up to on the intake...there is about 3/4" of difference and they dont line up directly. So to fix the i just drilled the plastic tabs for the new holes and used some spacers along with a couple of washers and also had to get longer screws...believe they were 40mm, just picked them up at O'Reilys Auto Parts

PIC-0168.jpg

The next thing i had to decide is to run the 90mm throttle body or get the adapter plate and keep the 78mm stock one. Well i couldnt justify another $300 for a new 2 stage plate and the $215 wiring harness from Rush Perfomance because the 90mm has a different 6 pin plug and the 78mm has a 8 pin plug. So i choose the 78mm with the adapter plate, it bolts up rather easy to the TBSS manifold.

In the pic you can see how it bolts up...throttle body...nitrous plate..then adapter plate...pay no attention to the wiring i didnt have a chance to loom it up yet

PIC-0171.jpg

The main problem i came across was the EVAP purge solenoid, the TBSS one sits inline and not in the intake like the trucks do, this is solved either by getting one from the TBSS or off an LS1 camaro, the plugs doesnt change. I choose to just cap it off and remove the code off the tune, some may not have that convienance or want to do that.

If you have a fuel pressure regulator like on the 99-03 trucks all you need to do it get you some 1/4" vaccum line and there is a capped vaccum port on the passanger side of the intake, you break the nipple off with a pair of pliers and that problem is solved.

All in all this looked harder then it turned out to be and this swap can be done in a matter of and hour or 2, i found it best to find someone that has a crossover laying around and have it modded before you start the swap.

PIC-0170.jpg

Any questions please ask.

Thanks

Virgil

Edited by mean05 (see edit history)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys...i know it made a difference but how much is up in the air cause of my other mods i did to it at the same time...it definately looks better IMO..

anytime Steve you know im more then happy to show what it has :D

• 3 months later...

A few questions here.

Where do I get a plate to run my 78mm TB with the TBSS intake?

Why do the rails not work with the stock crossover?

What do I do if I can't change my fittings for the rails?

What is going to happen if I can't kill the EVAP codes?

A parts breakdown would be very helpful here honestly. I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the intakes and want to make sure it works right.

Okay i finally did the TBSS intake swap on my truck and here is a how to if you would like to do this swap on yours also. The gains are supposed to be 15-20rwhp without losing the low end torque like when you go to an LS6...i also did a set of P & P 317 heads with the swap so i cant say what the gains are for sure...but anyways here you go and hope this is helpful to you.

here is a stock truck intake and the TBSS intake side by side...the first mod you need to make is to the fuel rail crossover...notice the bend on the passenger side of the intake prevents the fuel rails from sitting all the way down

PIC-0146.jpg

well the way to solve this was to take the crossover off...really simple to do just unscrew the star head that holds it in the rail and it pops right out. I then took it to my buddy Taylor over at Dallas Performance and he suggested we weld a -6an fitting on it and put a steel braided line insted of the metal crossover and in doing this it would allow better flow to the other rail as well. So within a matter of 30 minutes he had it cut and welded for me and i was on my way

PIC-0167.jpg

So now the rails were able to sit all the way down. For the new crossover line i just went to Performance Auto Supply and grabbed a 14" -6an line and it fit great nice and tight. So the next problem was the space between the fuel rail tabs and where they bolt up to on the intake...there is about 3/4" of difference and they dont line up directly. So to fix the i just drilled the plastic tabs for the new holes and used some spacers along with a couple of washers and also had to get longer screws...believe they were 40mm, just picked them up at O'Reilys Auto Parts

PIC-0168.jpg

The next thing i had to decide is to run the 90mm throttle body or get the adapter plate and keep the 78mm stock one. Well i couldnt justify another $300 for a new 2 stage plate and the $215 wiring harness from Rush Perfomance because the 90mm has a different 6 pin plug and the 78mm has a 8 pin plug. So i choose the 78mm with the adapter plate, it bolts up rather easy to the TBSS manifold.

In the pic you can see how it bolts up...throttle body...nitrous plate..then adapter plate...pay no attention to the wiring i didnt have a chance to loom it up yet

PIC-0171.jpg

The main problem i came across was the EVAP purge solenoid, the TBSS one sits inline and not in the intake like the trucks do, this is solved either by getting one from the TBSS or off an LS1 camaro, the plugs doesnt change. I choose to just cap it off and remove the code off the tune, some may not have that convienance or want to do that.

If you have a fuel pressure regulator like on the 99-03 trucks all you need to do it get you some 1/4" vaccum line and there is a capped vaccum port on the passanger side of the intake, you break the nipple off with a pair of pliers and that problem is solved.

All in all this looked harder then it turned out to be and this swap can be done in a matter of and hour or 2, i found it best to find someone that has a crossover laying around and have it modded before you start the swap.

PIC-0170.jpg

Any questions please ask.

Thanks

Virgil

• 2 months later...
how much was the intake swap and where did you get the intake with the accessories

i got mine from a guy who bought a tbss complete engine. he is putting the motor in a project car, and didn;t need the intake and everything else that goes with it. i am paying 350 for the entire thing. if you look around your bound to find something. look on ebay, or ask around here.

i got mine from a guy who bought a tbss complete engine. he is putting the motor in a project car, and didn;t need the intake and everything else that goes with it. i am paying 350 for the entire thing. if you look around your bound to find something. look on ebay, or ask around here.

I almost bought one from a guy who dropped a blower on his TBSS and didn't need the intake or anything else. I offered him $200 and he said he'd take it. I didn't jump because I wasn't sure what I was going to do right at that moment.

I almost bought one from a guy who dropped a blower on his TBSS and didn't need the intake or anything else. I offered him $200 and he said he'd take it. I didn't jump because I wasn't sure what I was going to do right at that moment.

yeah but i decided to pay a little more for it because it only has 15 miles on it, and it includes everything.