Mail Order Tuning

zippy

What does the crankshaft variation learn do? And as 1BadSilvy asked where can I get it done? When I got my tune I used a different ECM and once I got it back I never really felt the gains that I expected, it seems to run fine, just not much better than stock. So I was wondering if this crankshaft variation learn may have something to do with it?

Any thoughts?confused.gif

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were can i get the crankshaft variation learn at?

What does the crankshaft variation learn do? And as 1BadSilvy asked where can I get it done? When I got my tune I used a different ECM and once I got it back I never really felt the gains that I expected, it seems to run fine, just not much better than stock. So I was wondering if this crankshaft variation learn may have something to do with it?

Any thoughts?confused.gif

Crankshaft Variation Learn is needed in order for the PCM to learn actual crankshaft position. It isn't always necessary, only a handful of trucks will need it, and you will be able to tell because your CEL will be lit. Any auto repair shop that has a diagnostic scan tool like Snap-On Modus or Solus, Mac Mentor Pro, MasterTech, or Tech2 should be able to perform this in a matter of minutes.....

Crankshaft Variation Learn is needed in order for the PCM to learn actual crankshaft position. It isn't always necessary, only a handful of trucks will need it, and you will be able to tell because your CEL will be lit. Any auto repair shop that has a diagnostic scan tool like Snap-On Modus or Solus, Mac Mentor Pro, MasterTech, or Tech2 should be able to perform this in a matter of minutes.....

what the CEL?

CEL = Check Engine Light, a.k.a the MIL = Malfunction Indicator Light, or SES = Service Engine Soon Light

ahhh ic lol so if your check engine light doesnt come on after a tune, then u dont need to have the crankshaft variation learned?

• 3 months later...

Go to Zippy's web site..he posted a few replies up and call him...do not leave a voice mail..if he doesnt answer give him maybe an hour to call you back before calling him again.

Ya....he's decided he's too busy and/or forgetful to get back with people so at least for now he wants his orders to go through me. Its not a problem still contacting him but if you have a hard time reaching him feel free to PM or call me (Unlike him I'm ok with voicemails/text messages) :pepsicheer:

I'm the badger that gets him to get it done :smash:

As for the VOIDING WARRANTY discussion..... Yes any tuning other than the factory leaves the ability for a warranty void on the powertrain. Zippy spent 12 years of working for dealerships and 11 years of that was GM dealer. He know's how to tune the vehicle well enough that the dealer isn't likely to check for a non stock tune. The dealer has to actually check for a non stock tune and unless they suspect it has been modified they don't even bother checking. There is the saying that you have to pay to play, but in most mild cases nobody cares about little mods. If you have alot of mods the tune is the least of your worries. lol... Something to consider is that his customers are often among the quickest for the mods and drive around about as good as they're going to get.

• 10 months later...

Im currently in the process of getting a tune ( toni'ght!! got some emails out) but anyway yah im also wondering how much for a spare id like to keep mine and get a tuned one sent and just pay for it.

I'm doing the same thing I'm keeping my stock tuned PCM and sending in my extra for a different tuners tune.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Everyone seems to be a little scared over a mail order tune, or maybe just discounts it when compared to a dyno tune. A good tuner should have no problem not only getting your truck running good on the first mail order tune but also getting it tweaked in perfect within a couple of more if it even needs it. If you have logging software everything gets easier for the tuner to really tweak in the fine points. A in person or dyno tune is.....nice to know your truck was tuned by someone who could see if there was any problems or things he can tweak better, but your not going to see a huge hp increase to offset the cost of the dyno....maybe 5 hp up top, but maybe better driveability if the tuner works on the whole ve/timing table, not just the WOT areas that make him look good.

For example stroked out ss's truck has not been tuned in person and its a tvs2300 408. My truck has been dyno tuned but that was a bunch of mods ago and now is back to email tuning, 2bfast's procharged truck has not been tuned in person and runs great....when he drives it.

On the other side of the question, is a tune a good idea for a truck with no mods. I can only relate this to what i saw with my truck, i had a CAI that produced no better et's at the track(come on a CAI means no mods). When it was tuned, the truck went from 15.0-15.1's to 14.5.

or are you asking if a tune is good idea for a truck that has been tuned by someone else and now has no more mods since it has been tuned? Every one thinks their tuner is better then everyone else's and you need to draw your own opinion from what you read and results that are posted up from other members. We were going to add the tuners name to the ET list to make this more clear, but the mods are very busy guys so be patient and I'm sure we will see this, especially with the new owners asking about which tuner to use.

If your looking for a way to help a tuner help you, pick up a logging sotware. I use HP tuners because thats what my tuner prefers, efi live is also available and the choice of a couple other tuners on this site. You don't have to buy the full tuner package(although email tunes can save cost and lots of time), just the logging software will help your tuner out.

By the way...the trucks i mentioned are all Zippy tuned trucks :coold:

Some of the tuners on this site are, but not limited to:

Zippy

Blackbear

Wheatley

CHPspecial

and i think Krambo is doing some tunes for guys in his area if your an East cost guy

Check out guys sig, and you'll get an idea of what we are using

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)