Fix the steering Shaft clunk in 5 minutes or less

Bowtie70SS

Chase...you did what? Possibly let the clockspring undo itself? If so, I would probably just replace the clockspring so you know you have one that is perfectly centered...Signs of a broken SIR Coil, could be Cruise light is lit up but don't respond to buttons, turn sigs wont cancel...a number of things...let me know if I can get you R&R Procedures, etc...

PS...Hey BrandT did you ever get HID's, or pics of your light setup at night, and the pattern they cutoff at?

Edited by BlkSilvySS (see edit history)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i think everything is fine except for the cock eyed wheel. so i think the clock spring is probably ok i just need to turn the wheel back in the direction it was spun. it is aimed a bit to the right( about 1 o clock) so i am assuming it need to be turned back around to the right again . what do you think ? ill take the r and r instruciton for the clock spring just in case though.

Hey Chase lemme dig' er up for ya...Have you had the control arms, or anything of that would pull it out of alignment? I ask this because, tech your steerign wheel will only go on the intermediate shaft one way. I only addressed the concern with the clock spring incase you weren't looking at the wheel and then noticed it was turned but didn't know which way the wheel "fell" to the left or right....

I would say you would need to just get an alignment however I will dig the R&R up and give' er to ya...

Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Coil Centering

Ok Chase, Here is a Centering SIR Coil you could try, but I would put money on an alignment, I will post the R&R next...

Document ID # 822781

SIR1.jpg

Notice: The new SIR coil assembly will be centered. Improper alignment of the SIR coil assembly may damage the unit, causing an inflatable restraint malfunction.

Important: If double wire harness strap is installed onto the wire harness assembly and column, you must reuse the holder for the wire straps during installation.

Remove the wire harness strap(s) where necessary.

Verify the following conditions before centering the SIR coil:

- The wheels on the vehicle are straight ahead.

- The block tooth (1) of the steering shaft assembly is in the 12 o'clock position.

- The ignition switch is in the LOCK position.

SIR2.jpg

If the front (5) of the SIR coil has a centering window (4), and the back side (2) includes a spring service lock (1), perform the following steps:

Hold the SIR coil with the face up.

While depressing the spring service lock, rotate the coil hub clockwise until the coil ribbon stops.

Rotate the coil hub slowly, counterclockwise, until the centering window appears yellow and both arrows (3) line up.

Release spring service lock between the locking tab. The SIR coil is now centered.

Align the centered SIR coil with the horn tower and slide onto the steering shaft assembly.

SIR3.jpg

If the front (4) of the SIR coil has a centering window (3), and the back side (1) includes NO spring service lock, perform the following steps:

Rotate the coil hub clockwise until the coil ribbon stops.

Rotate the coil hub slowly, counterclockwise until the centering window appears yellow and both arrows (2) line up. This is the CENTER position.

While holding the coil hub in the CENTER position, align the SIR coil with the horn tower and slide onto the steering shaft assembly.

SIR4.jpg

If the front side (3) of the SIR coil has NO centering window, but the back side (2) includes a spring service lock (1), perform the following steps:

Hold the SIR coil with the back side up.

While depressing the spring service lock, rotate the coil hub in the direction of the arrow (4) until the coil ribbon stops.

Still pressing the spring service lock, rotate the coil hub in the opposite direction 2½ revolutions.

Release the spring service lock between locking tabs. The SIR coil is now centered.

Align the centered SIR coil with the horn tower and slide onto the steering shaft assembly.

SIR5.jpg

If the front side (2) of the SIR coil has NO centering window, and the back side (1) includes NO spring service lock, perform the following steps:

Rotate the coil hub in the direction of the arrow until the coil ribbon stops.

Rotate the coil hub, slowly, counterclockwise, for 2½ revolutions. This is the CENTER position.

While maintaining the coil hub in the CENTER position, align the centered SIR coil with the horn tower and slide onto the steering shaft assembly.

If double wire harness strap is installed onto the wire harness assembly and column, you must route the wires up against the steering column. One wire harness strap will surround one lead from the coil to the steering column. The other wire harness strap will surround all leads to the steering column.

well it was when i had my motor out of my truck i had to disconnect the shaft to remove some stuff so it sat a while disconnected. when i re connected it , the wheel was off. so the alignment is fine and no i dont have control arms. it just spun a 360 revoltuion in one of the wrong ways.

Here's the R&R with Harness

Document ID #1561529

Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Coil Replacement (Coil and Harness Assembly)

Tools Required

J 42640 Steering Column Anti Rotation Pin

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in Cautions and Notices.

SIRRR1.jpg

Disable the SIR System. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 3 .

Notice: The wheels of the vehicle must be straight ahead and the steering column in the LOCK position before disconnecting the steering column or intermediate shaft from the steering gear. Failure to do so will cause the SIR coil assembly to become uncentered, which may cause damage to the coil assembly.

Verify the following before removing the SIR coil:

- The wheels on the vehicle are straight ahead.

- That J 42640 is installed or the ignition switch is in the LOCK position.

Remove the steering wheel from the steering shaft. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column.

SIRRR2.jpg

On vehicles with a tilt column, pull the tilt lever straight out from the steering column.

SIRRR3.jpg

Remove 2 TORX® head screws (1) from the lower trim cover (2).

Remove the lower trim cover (2).

SIRRR4.jpg

Remove 2 TORX® head screws (2) from the upper trim cover (1).

Remove the upper trim cover (1).

SIRRR5.jpg

Remove the wire harness straps from the steering wheel column wire harness.

Remove the retaining ring.

SIRRR6.jpg

Disconnect the wire harness assembly from the base of the column.

Remove the SIR coil and wire harness assembly from the steering shaft.

If replacing, discard the SIR coil.

I dunno what to do Chase, it tells me I have hit the limit on images...even if I try to break it up, I guess I will PM you with the rest...

Aggrivating I just spend 20min copying from the GMDealerWorld site, and resizing images, and inserting them in the correct place!! GRRR!! LEt me know if the PM works for ya...

yeah i got it but i dont think i need to do all that. i think im just one rotation off. now i need to figure out which way to rotate it back wards. any idea, remeber its clocked at about 1 o clock.

Well post #64 is to center the coil, I am pretty sure the shaft has a Master Spline on it, so the wheel can only go on one way. If it don't, and you know for sure the coil is centered, then pull the wheel and move it a couple teeth if there is no master spline....

• 3 weeks later...

This is weird, Im a tech at a GM dealership and Ive never heard anything about doing this. I usually replace 2 or 3 intermediate shafts a week and Ive never heard anything about this bulletin. I did one this morning actually...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...