Fix the steering Shaft clunk in 5 minutes or less

Bowtie70SS

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got my greese kit from gm and fixed it. then two months later came back. went in to the dealer and yep they told me they no longer sell the kit. holly mother of pearl i was pissed. they told me I should of kept the greese tube that came in the kit to redue it. put it this way I dont think they like me at the parts department now. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
I was looking around online and came across an interesting fact. GM no longer replaces steering shafts or greases them. Techs are instructed to take out the bolt that holds the upper and lower shafts together (under the hood near the brake booster) and pump the inner shaft in and out a few times. It is very important that you do not rotate the steering wheel with the shaft disconnected or you can damage the air bag system. I did this on mine and presto no clunking. It took like 5 minutes. The theory is that the grease on the splines will be redistributed and stop the clunking. I'll be damned if it didn't work. Anyone with the annoying clunk and no warranty or with no time to take it in should do it even if it only lasts 10-15k miles it was free and quick.

Dave

Wow!! I just tried this and it works. I've had this problem for about 2 years and now it's fixed. Really thought it was something major!

I tried this and could not get the shaft to slide. I removed the bolt completely and after several tries i could not get the shaft to move at all. Anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

I just got through doing this to mine and it works. Remove the bolt completely like you did and shove the shaft that goes to the firewall in and out about 15 times. You might have to force it out of the link that it is attached to from being together for so long but mine just slipped out with no porb. Remember, it's the part that is closest to the firewall that you move in and out. Just don't turn the shaft. Keep it in the position. Just move it completely in and out about 15 times. Guaranteed it will fix the clunking problem that i've have for about 2 years!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok guys, as a GM Tech...Here's the info...

The GM Document # is 1893252

New Intermediate Shaft P/N 19153614

Upper Bolt Torque is 35ft-lb

Lower Bolt Torque is 37ft-lb

I believe the part @ our dept is like $97 MSRP

It's an easy job don't take more than 15 min. Just remember since none of you have the special tool to lock the steering wheel, if you do the replacement you must hold the steering wheel still when the shaft is disconected, otherwise your SIR Coil (Clockspring) will come undone, or a partial revolution. Causing your wheel when steeed straight not to be "centered" in the middle of the coil's travel, possibly tearing the spring if you had to turn lock to lock at any time.

Ok guys, as a GM Tech...Here's the info...

The GM Document # is 1893252

New Intermediate Shaft P/N 19153614

Upper Bolt Torque is 35ft-lb

Lower Bolt Torque is 37ft-lb

I believe the part @ our dept is like $97 MSRP

It's an easy job don't take more than 15 min. Just remember since none of you have the special tool to lock the steering wheel, if you do the replacement you must hold the steering wheel still when the shaft is disconected, otherwise your SIR Coil (Clockspring) will come undone, or a partial revolution. Causing your wheel when steeed straight not to be "centered" in the middle of the coil's travel, possibly tearing the spring if you had to turn lock to lock at any time.

i think i did this, any ideas on how to fix it?