Fix the steering Shaft clunk in 5 minutes or less

Bowtie70SS

I was looking around online and came across an interesting fact. GM no longer replaces steering shafts or greases them. Techs are instructed to take out the bolt that holds the upper and lower shafts together (under the hood near the brake booster) and pump the inner shaft in and out a few times. It is very important that you do not rotate the steering wheel with the shaft disconnected or you can damage the air bag system. I did this on mine and presto no clunking. It took like 5 minutes. The theory is that the grease on the splines will be redistributed and stop the clunking. I'll be damned if it didn't work. Anyone with the annoying clunk and no warranty or with no time to take it in should do it even if it only lasts 10-15k miles it was free and quick.

Dave

Edited by Bowtie70SS (see edit history)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you trying to say I jacked my truck off?? Now I just feel dirty. :jester: It sure has F'd me a few times.

When you take the bolt out you move the part that goes thru the firewall in towars the column and back out towards the steering box a few times. This apparently redistributes the grease that is already in there. I'll have to try and get you a pic tomorrow or Fri.

Dave

When you take the bolt out you move the part that goes thru the firewall in towars the column and back out towards the steering box a few times. This apparently redistributes the grease that is already in there. I'll have to try and get you a pic tomorrow or Fri.

Dave

wait wait wait!!!!

first you say to whack the steering shaft and now you're saying there's a glory hole in the firewall and you do it through there??

what the hell kida truck did i get myself into?

Dave

wait wait wait!!!!

first you say to whack the steering shaft and now you're saying there's a glory hole in the firewall and you do it through there??

what the hell kida truck did i get myself into?

unfortunatley that thought was running through my mind as well. :nonod: