Street Racing Death

Rays B4U

What a shame. :nonod: poor kid wasn't even old enough to realize how stupid what he was doing is. There's a time and place for everything and the streets aren't the time or place for racing.

I street race quite often and one thing for sure is that this can happen whether you're street racing or just driving around if you a bad driver. He was a bad driver and just plain dumb.

just about every car guy has played around at least at one point in time racing against a buddy on the street and survived. this goes right back to the cell phone story. the person that can't drive for s**t when talking on their cell phone, can't drive for s**t when they aren't on their cell phone.

Yeah that's a bad deal. And I see things really wrong here - why is a 16-yr old driving solo? You mean to tell me that the minumum age for a driver's license is 16 in WA? And why is a 16-yr old driving a BMW? My first vehicle was an old Chevy truck w/454 and wasn't worth more than a few hundred dollars. Since both these kids had expensive cars (for teens I mean) then this infers their families have some wealth and/or local status. I guess the only positive thing to say here is thank god nobody else got seriously hurt, and that the stupid spoiled rich kid is off the highway.

Mr. P.

Never good to hear when something like this happens and it seems to happen too often to the young drivers cause they just dont know the limits of the vehicle. Ironically last friday a senior from the high school i graduated from two years ago was killed in a really bad accident. He was traveling down a local road that is dead straight for probably 3/4 of a mile until it goes into a series of S turns.....we had gotten snow about a week earlier which means there was a lot of sand on the road (better for cars than salt, but makes things kinda slippery). Prolly going about 65 or 70 he didnt make the first series of turns and flipped his pickup so badly that it landed on the wheels with minimal damage to the actual truck. Sad part is he wasnt wearing his belt and was basically cut in half by the drivers side window. D.O.A Freakin shame.....

I street race quite often and one thing for sure is that this can happen whether you're street racing or just driving around if you a bad driver. He was a bad driver and just plain dumb.

Gotta agree/diagree with you on this Zippy. Yes, it does take skill and experience to street race safely. Bad drivers will get hurt sooner or later regardless. The problem with street racing is that all of you "good" drivers are out there on the same streets as the bad and inexperienced drivers. Not to mention deer, ice, loose gravel, alcohol and other factors thaht you might not be aware of at high speed. Even the very best drivers cannot control all the possibilities. That's why you almost never see professional drivers street racing. Dragstrips and raceways are still the best place to race.

Ya, we all do it once in a while, it is a rush, but it still is stupid. Especially for young and inexperienced drivers. The only good thing about the kids accident is that he only killed himself and not some innocent person. One of my biggest fears is that I would kill someone else and I'd walk away without a scratch. Wouldn't want to live with that the rest of my life.

Rant off

Zippy,

I'm with you on the issue of cell phones. Give a bad driver another distraction and he/she just became a worse driver. What about eating, reading,applying makeup, adjusting the radio, no it's the cell phone when actually it's the piss poor driver behind the wheel. Don't address the problem, use a perceived cause...like outlaw guns because guns kill people :icon_bs:. I have yet to see a LONE GUN walk in and rob a bank. I have seen a LONE GUNMAN with a GUN walk in and rob a bank :mad: There is no reason or incentive for people to become better drivers. All you have to do is pass (maybe) an eye test, a written test and a simple driving test. I don't think they make you parallel park anymore! It's not about the cell phones or the guns, etc. etc. etc...it's the person using it

On to street racing. Terrible tragedy for this 16yr old and his family. He did take himself out, but only after hitting 2 other cars obviously not involved. I would say possibly Darwin at work.

I used to do a lot when I was younger, but I resist doing it now except for the occasional fun run with somebody I know and trust. Too many cars, poor drivers, congestion, squids ,idiots, squirrels, whatever their called now. Of course, we can't forget the wonderful cinematic marvels from Hollywood that introduced us to Vin Diesel and Paul Walker :nonod: We now have a whole generation of kids who think they can play Fast & Furious on public roads because they're really good on the Playstation, X-Box, seen both 1 & 2...and are waiting breathlessly for...3 :banghead: They can't seem to make that little disconnect between fantasy and the real world. Fantasy... you get a new car and 3 lives...real world... I believe we're still at 1 :dunno:

Zippy, I'm sure when you set up some of your midnite bonzai runs, you bring 500-1000 of your closest friends, run right down US31 through the center of town, right? ;)

the same type of thing happened in front of my moms work yesterday. A guy in a ricer and a mustang. the two guys in the ricer were and ejected and illed. my mor got to see the aftermath before any emergency teams were there on her way in!! :eek:

Yeah that's a bad deal.  And I see things really wrong here - why is a 16-yr old driving solo?  You mean to tell me that the minumum age for a driver's license is 16 in WA?  And why is a 16-yr old driving a BMW?  My first vehicle was an old Chevy truck w/454 and wasn't worth more than a few hundred dollars.  Since both these kids had expensive cars (for teens I mean) then this infers their families have some wealth and/or local status.  I guess the only positive thing to say here is thank god nobody else got seriously hurt, and that the stupid spoiled rich kid is off the highway.

Mr. P.

Learners license here is 14 years of age, full license at 16. I see many teens driving m3s, porsches, vettes etc. Some young people have common sense on how not to drive their performance car recklessly, but the majority don't. I think to an extent it is not what the teen is driving but how mature they can make decisions. This teen most likely would have done the same thing in a mustang or civic. It's a shame hearing all these unnecessary fatalities. I still think racing is best kept the track, but we all have that temptation some times.

... Some young people have common sense on how not to drive their performance car recklessly, but the majority don't.  I think to an extent it is not what the teen is driving but how mature they can make decisions.  This teen most likely would have done the same thing in a mustang or civic.  ...

:withstupid: Exactly. Amen. I identify with this so readily because as a youth I had the same flaw and learned the hard way. In my late teen years I drove *really* fast, I had a few close calls by the time I was 20 and I'll admit if it weren't for cat-like reflexes and The Force things could have gone fatally wrong once or twice. At the age of 20 I had an 'unobservant driver' (aka total ****!) pull right out in front of me as I was rounding a long bender on a country road at triple-digit speeds; I swerved and missed him but ended-up ditching the car in the process, and during the afternoon walk back to town I realized that in life I cannot control the actions of anyone around me, and that realization has made a profound difference in the way I approach life, and consequently the way I drive.

The news story about the unfortunate teen driver has nothing to do with driving; it has everything to do with a person that made a series of bad decisions and it led to tragedy. And by my way of thinking, when kids make a chain of bad decisions it exposes a flaw in their upbringing/parenting, just as it did in my own. This teen simply had a wrong/unsuccessful approach to life in general, that being he was a control freak, not realizing the simple fact that there is *no* possible way to expect reality to conform to your own will of the moment; this young person took a lot for granted. And this specific little character flaw runs rampant, BMan and I saw it again bigger than Dallas in one of the younger guys who shared a beer with us at our last GTG (just before Christmas).

I educate my own kids about these points, never over-drive a vehicle or life situation, and learning how to think like a defensive driver and operate their lives accordingly, long before they are teens.

Mr. P.

Archived