help on the torsion key removal

elitesurfer50

You don't need any special tool. I just did mine last weekend. Sockets and ratchtes and maybe a hammer. Take off the wheel, unbolt tierod, ball joints, and sway bar, oh and shocks. Completely take out the adjustment bolt on the key. Make sure the truck is up on a jackstand. If at this point if the torsion bar does not slide out easily then get a buddy to push down on the lower a-arm to "unload" the t-bar. Slide the t-bar forward, and the key should fall right out. Then put the new key in, slide the bar back and bolt everything back up! Pretty simple task. Took me and a buddy about 1.5 hrs.

Good Luck! :thumbs:

thanks... in the directions i got there was a tool that looked like a clamp kinda that prevents from revoming all that stuff and i guess pussed the car towards the front and the key slides out and replace it then take the clamp off thats what i was refering to. sounds alot easier that way.. does anyone know what that tool is?

puller-install2.jpg

thats a picture of the tool im tryin to find.. if anyone knows the name of it..

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/fordkeys.shtml

heres a site i found of them replacing the keys same thing just doing a lift...

thanks... in the directions i got there was a tool that looked like a clamp kinda that prevents from revoming all that stuff and i guess pussed the car towards the front and the key slides out and replace it then take the clamp off thats what i was refering to.  sounds alot easier that way.. does anyone know what that tool is?

Yeah it's a universal pulling tool. I found one somewhere, it was $100!! :eek: I don't think it will save you too much time, and i've heard if you don't do it rigth you could severly crush a finger or a hand! Taking the front end apart is easy and not time consuming!

EDIT: I just saw your edit w/ the link! Good info! I may be stupid here, but, I believe it is called a "universal pulling tool"? :confused: The pulling tool is not exactly what I imagined. I would say either way it is an easy task! The price I saw for that tool from GM was $100!

Korey

Archived