Lowering Remorse

SSuperSport

I took my truck to a local shop yesterday and had 2" drop shackles installed and was going to have the torsion bars turned down an inch or so but ran out of time for the front. The guy that worked on my truck drives an '03 Blue SS and has lowered his the same way so I figured he knows what he is doing and he did do the rear in good time. My issue is not that the front end is sticking up higher than the rear right now but the thing drives like all four tires are down to about 10 lbs of air, all over the road. My first thought was to get the original shackles back on as quick as possible and come back when I am ready to spend the money on a lowering kit and do it right. My question is, will turning down the torsion bars and getting the ride back level fix or at least help the sway? I know there will be several fixes, I am just not prepared to spend much money right now. Thanks !!

I'm sure by lowering just the front you really screwed up your weight balance. that is why it feels like it is all over the road. You do not have the proper amount of weight over the front wheels.

As far as turning down the bars, I would recommend against it. Get a pair of Drop Spindles and do it the right way. It is money well spent, and if you cannot do it properly, then wait until you can. These trucks are too expensive to not do things the right way. I lowered mine with Spindles and Shackles/hangers. I did adjust the front bars down about 3/4" but that is all. The other option is different torsion keys.

I took my truck to a local shop yesterday and had 2" drop shackles installed and was going to have the torsion bars turned down an inch or so but ran out of time for the front. The guy that worked on my truck drives an '03 Blue SS and has lowered his the same way so I figured he knows what he is doing and he did do the rear in good time. My issue is not that the front end is sticking up higher than the rear right now but the thing drives like all four tires are down to about 10 lbs of air, all over the road. My first thought was to get the original shackles back on as quick as possible and come back when I am ready to spend the money on a lowering kit and do it right. My question is, will turning down the torsion bars and getting the ride back level fix or at least help the sway? I know there will be several fixes, I am just not prepared to spend much money right now. Thanks !!

Alignment must be out with rear lower than front caster is now all messed up get the front down where you want it (spindles are best) and then have a good alignment done.

So my options are to reverse the process for now or go with the torsion keys. Will lowering the front end about 2" with the torsion keys keep everything else in line, drive shaft, steering, etc? If this will be putting stress on anything I will just go back to stock and wait. Thanks !!

Pretty sure others on here have done it your way back before the spindles were available and very limited to no problems. An alignment will be what you need after you're finished. Spindles are the best way, but not the only way. Good luck.

You'll spend over 35,000 on a truck and you wanna cut corners on a suspension, save your money and do it wright. Short cuts are only gonna make you wish you never did it. Drive it stock, all the guy that have it done wright are extremely pleased with there results learn from our mistakes (grasshopper)

also dropping the torsion bars will change the spring rates. 

:wtf: No it doesn't. All you're changing by lowering the torsion bar is the initial height of the spring, just like a weight jack. The spring has just as much tension on it until you contact the bump stops, which should be trimmed when lowering the front with either torsion bars, new keys, or spindles.

SSuperSport, read the how to thread portion that covers the torsion bar lowering here... How To: 2/2 drop thread. I did this on my truck, and on kyles03ss's truck (pictured in the how to) and we have no regrets about lowering the truck this way, cheap or not. If you have any questions, drop me a PM.

shackles and turned down torsion bars - no problems.

lower the front to where you want it, then get a good alignment. make sure you test drive it afterward and have them fix if you are not satisfied with the alignment. it can be a little harder for them to align with the torsion bars turned down because the amount of adjustment available is reduced, but a competent tech can get it aligned right. i had them do three times before i was satisfied with the alignment.

I did 2" lowering shackles in the rear and different keys and a few turns on the torsion bar in front. Overall about 1 3/4" in the front and 2" in the rear.

I was just looking for a little lower so I didn't want to go with the full blown spindles in the front, shackles/hangers in the rear. Just enough to take out some of the space in the wheel well.

lowered.jpg

I lowered mine the "cheap" way originally. I did the shackles and torsion bar adjustment and had a full four wheel alignment done at the same time.

After two years, and 12000 miles, I have decided to switch to the Belltech spindles in the front and return the torsion bars to stock because the front feels really sloppy.

Well, I got the truck back in the shop today and had the original shackles put back on. The ride is better, not as bouncy and the steering is back. I may just leave it the way it is although a set of sway bars sounds like a nice suspension mod. My new chrome speed grille and shopman bowtie should be here in a couple of days. I think the next addition will be a tonneau. Thanks for all of the suggestions!!

Archived