Air Bags for Load Leveling

dcairns

I am thinking about towing a trailer on vacation this year. I was thinking some means of keeping the truck level with a load would be nice.

Anyone installed any of these products? So far I like the Air Lift Ride Control series at $179.39

http://www.airliftcompany.com/ridecontrol.htm

air-59501_w.jpg

SmartAir automatic leveling sounds cool, if a bit pricey at $279.95

http://www.airliftcompany.com/ARLS.htm

air-25415.jpg

Thats a nice system. I installed a similar one on a Dodge 1500 for customer who tows a fifth wheel camper trailer and loves it, it was not as high tech as that one but works great. :thumbs:

I have them. They are the sportrite kit with goodyear bags. They are well worth the money. I did not get the compressor, not a bad investment though. They work wonders. I pulled a race trailor with three roadrace bikes, and a roadking in the bed of the truck 300 miles and they kicked as$. I would recommend them to anyone. I paid 200 bucks for them.

Wizard

I've been shopping air systems as well and the one piece of advice that I'm consistantly getting from all sources is that you DO NOT want manual valves. They have a tendency to develop leaks. Other than that I don't have anything else to offer b/c I'm still trying to decide on a setup. :dunno:

Ah, so it is the compressor that does not look up to the task. In the picture, I don't think that is a reservoir under the compressor. It looks more like a plastic cover or electronics cover. I suppose it is pretty light duty looking pump, they do make better looking ones. On the other hand, it does not need to be large or run much, as it only adds air when the load changes. My interest is strictly for vacation travel use. Thanks for the input.

dcarins:

keep us posted on what you end up going with and how well it does b/c this is something I'm very interested in now that I've got the truck lowered and air suspension is something anyone here w/ an SS has yet to do.

I went ahead and ordered the Air Lift Ride Control bags. They are sold for trailering use, so they have to be close to what I need. I decided to hold off on the automatic compressor (too many other bills at the moment). For this trip, I can fill them at the gas station.

I also ordered a B&M transmission cooler. Same one BenKey has, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

McGAUGHYS has a new air bag helper kit for the SS. It costs $289 that includes

bags for both sides, lines, T, and schrader valves. about 30 minutes to install. Works with dropped vehicles too.

I think air ride and air lift are the same company in lansing michigan???

I would get a better bag, not the sleeve the double bellow kind, that is where the kit changes, so are designed for the bigger bags. I could be wrong but this seems like a good kit but I think there is a higher rated kit for more weight???

I wonder if you play w/ pressure if you could help your ride w/o a load??

Archived