2006 ss

The 2wd version is a great option if you don't plan on modifying your engine. If you go crazy and add a couple hunderd horses like me then the AWD makes a huge difference at the track or street.

The ability to light up the rears is cool though. Even pushing 600hp all I get is some chirps.

And the ability to out run an SRT/10 Doge makes it sweeter. You should have seen the look on the guys face when his 50K truck got smoked.

And no I didn't tell him I wasn't stock; I have a mean streak :D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i like the awd better, would be nice to smoke em up now and then but with all the snow i need somethin good,

Just to let you guys know I have an 05 2WD SS, and I love it. This thing will rip out of the hole and keep traction on wet pavement, due to the traction control. The good thing about the traction control. I CAN TURN IT OFF!!! Also I was torn between the AWD and 2WD until I felt how much better the 2wd handled, and also I get about 5 more mile to the gallon!!! My SS is fully loaded to include a sun roof, and the AWD was not. The reason for saying that is the AWD was still over 3 grand more than mine. I've only had my for a little over a month and I've fell in love with it. I plan to put my first mod on it next week (cold air intake) and then a Hypertec Programmer when I can find a supplier of the new 30032 which is SS specific. So if anyone has any questions about the 2wd I'll try my best to answer and if anyone has knoweledge on where to get parts for my SS at a great price please comment!!!

• 1 month later...

just finally got the vin for the SS i ordered here at work. finally i get to see an 06' ss in person here in the next couple days. this is one of the dale earnhardt editions. i assume pictures will be in order. vin is

2gcec19n161167255

just an idea, GM should build an AWD standard cab shorty, with all of the kick ass performance stuff and leave some of the luxury out of it. example, they could save some money and put some of ford's leather "steel bench" buckets in there (just jokes). Maybe put the 8.1 L in there, with a little tuning those motors come to life...

• 2 weeks later...
some of the other advantages to the 2wd are:

less expensive insurance.

better fuel milage.

no "rubbing" type noises on turns.

Zippy. Are you sure that 2WDs are cheaper to insure than 4WD? I assumed that the 4WD got some kind of extra discount, as they might be less involved in road accidents with better traction.

When I bought my 2004 SSS, I was amazed that it was cheaper to insure than my 1996 Impala SS - value $11,000 and our new 2003 Ford Focus ZTS - (w/ABS & side-impact air bags). Only my 1994 Z28 M6 was less to insure than the SSS, which Allstate probably totals at $7,000.

i like the awd better, would be nice to smoke em up now and then but with all the snow i need somethin good,

Just to let you guys know I have an 05 2WD SS, and I love it. This thing will rip out of the hole and keep traction on wet pavement, due to the traction control. The good thing about the traction control. I CAN TURN IT OFF!!! Also I was torn between the AWD and 2WD until I felt how much better the 2wd handled, and also I get about 5 more mile to the gallon!!! My SS is fully loaded to include a sun roof, and the AWD was not. The reason for saying that is the AWD was still over 3 grand more than mine. I've only had my for a little over a month and I've fell in love with it. I plan to put my first mod on it next week (cold air intake) and then a Hypertec Programmer when I can find a supplier of the new 30032 which is SS specific. So if anyone has any questions about the 2wd I'll try my best to answer and if anyone has knoweledge on where to get parts for my SS at a great price please comment!!!

I was hoping to see some good stuff on the 2wds because i ordered my 06 ss 2 weeks ago after trying to find an 05 awd for a month and half. i was worried that i wouldnt get traction off the line. also because the winters suck here in michigan. anyways you say you get 5miles to the gallon better, are you hitting close to the 20mpg mark? Should be faster too because of less weight. thanks :driving:

I was hoping to see some good stuff on the 2wds because i ordered my 06 ss 2 weeks ago after trying to find an 05 awd for a month and half. i was worried that i wouldnt get traction off the line. also because the winters suck here in michigan. anyways you say you get 5miles to the gallon better, are you hitting close to the 20mpg mark? Should be faster too because of less weight. thanks :driving:

An article that I read said that the 2WD and the AWD were just as fast to 60mph. This is probably due to fact that while it is lighter, it is more traction limited. I believe that the gear ratios are less favorable than AWD too. No doubt once it hooks up and the gear ratios come into their long-legged sweet spot, that the 2WD will be faster on the top end.

The AWD is certainly a big benefit though. I parked my SSS on a future patio slab tucked behind my house, behind the sturdy fence for protection from Hurricane Wilma. There is no way that I could have pulled easily on the slab 5 inches above the grass without tearing up my grass in a 2WD. Then I was able to get the truck out of the area with AWD without tearing up grass again getting through waterlogged grass. Finally, I was able to pull a 15 foot tree up straight again from the hurricane without losing traction or tearing up the grass.

The SSS with the AWD is not the fastest truck, but it is certainly very versatile. I guess if all I wanted was a fast truck, I would get the 2WD Lightning or SRT-10 Quad Cab.

Rick R

Archived