2006 ss

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me loosing awd is a mistake. It should be an option. As for 35k for a 2wd....I think it is overpriced for what you get. GM has had good ideas in the past and has chosen not to listen to it's customers. I'm sorry but I feel the future will be no different. It would have taken nothing to put a 2wd version out along time ago BUT....You know how it goes. History repeats itself. :shakehead:

i believe the SS is going to 2wd because of warrenty costs and cafe standards. with the right tires on an SS the awd system is just excessive. i've driven the standard silverado's around in alot of snow with no problem. this past winter i was out on days that some of the roads were being closed due to snow falling faster than the plows could get to it. most idiots drove right in the middle of the road at around 25mph (on the highway). i drove my van all winter with it being 2wd and an even worse open diff. even on the days i drove when the snow was 4-6 inches on the highway itself i passed about every 4wd i ran accross. most buyers of SS's never even see snow or see less than 6 inches at a time all year. it's pretty excessive to drive a 5500lb truck around in awd form. even the lighter VHO doesn't spin the tires unless you're trying.

I do agree with you on the fact that the AWD sytem can be excessive at times, especialy in the summer months. Im not sure whether i would trade in for a 2WD or not. Its great in the snow, but I dont plan on driving my SSS in the winter anyways. Kinda a draw. But i do love that handling and easy off the line performance the AWD offers.

Richard

I'm just glad I bought an '04 SS. If I couldn't have gotten the SS in AWD, I would have bought a Sierra Denali (almost wish now that I had due to the nicer interior). I considered the Denali until GM changed the truck to a Crew and eliminated the 4-Wheel Steering. Not that I need AWD (since the truck won't ever see snow-therefore SALT), I just prefer the traction capabilties of the system (ever drive it in a heavy rain, awesome handling! Even with the wide tires.). And, I like having the "Top-O-the-Line" with all the options. So, NO, I would not consider a 2WD SS.

My $.02

T :chevy:

I'll keep the AWD-we get enough snow here in indiana to justify the AWD-we looked at the 2wd ones last week,both we saw were minimum option units-looked like soon to be Enterprise rentals.

I hope they don't disgrace the SS name with some POS or an ALL SHOW-NO GO truck(remember 1990-91?)

that all show no go truck runs about the same quarter mile time as the current ss. :confused: not much show, it was black with chrome steel wheels, wider tires, and some stickers. :dunno:

I don't see why GM doesn't just offer the SS with AutoTrac 4WD like all the other 4x4 trucks they make :dunno: It seems to me like that would give everyone the best of BOTH worlds: Better fuel economy in the summer when 4WD isn't needed 95% of the time (exception being for heavy rain), but still have the 4WD available for when the snow starts falling in the winter.....plus you can still have an advantage racing from a dig with the 4WD available :driving:

Just my $0.02

i agree. i for one like the autotrack system. if the 1/2 ton case can't handle it the 3/4 ton t-case could. the LQ9 shouldn't be a special engine. it should be available accross the board.

It's a pretty quick...lol... silverado... a couple of us have them here...

The 6.0 in a non-SS truck? I do not see the option on Chevy's website. Some special deal or what? More info please. :)

It's only available the south region, hence the reason it has the nickname "Texas truck." In order to build one online, you have to input a zipcode from a town/city in the south region to have that build option become available.

Archived