Brakes

pharmb

:confused: This is my first post, have a quick question... Do the brakes feel soft or even a little "mushy" to any of you? I know this is a heavier vehicle than I'm used to, but it seems I have to push the pedal down a good 1/4 -1/2 to get good feedback.

That sounds about right to me. But I was born and raised on Chevy's, so the "mushy brakes" and "lack of feel" that car magazines complain about never made sense to me. Just so used to it, it is "normal" and I don't have any problem operating them effectively either.

:withstupid:

Had a '91 Silverado standard cab whose brakes were anything but "mushy" - very stiff & lots of pedal feel.

driving.gif

The SS is a completely different animal - and yes the brakes are a bit "mushy" and have a very light feel.

The mushy feeling comes from the General using eletrionic brakes.

Let me explain if i can. There is no mechincal link from the brake pedel to the brakes. a computer controls the whole thing. Dont ask me what happens if you lose power i dont know

just my 2 cents.

I'd personally upgrade to slotted rotors at all four corners if I had an SS. :flag:

They wouldn't change pedal feel although they will probably improve overall braking performance.

The holes help clean the surface of the pads. They also reduce the weight of the discs which lightens them which theoretically should improve braking (decreases rotational interia). But yes, mainly they are for helping the system work at cooler temperatures by improving ventilation (thereby reducing one of the factors of brake fade).

Let me explain if i can. There is no mechincal link from the brake pedel to the brakes. a computer controls the whole thing. Dont ask me what happens if you lose power i dont know

Where did you get this info? I've never read or heard anywhere that the Silverado SS uses brake-by-wire. From everything I've read, GM's brake-by-wire systems will require a 42V electrical system.

Thanks. Since it seems my brakes are "normal" I'll probably wait to do any upgrade until I need to turn them or replace pads.

If these brakes are like my 99 Silverado, you will have a long time to wait... Did my first brake job at 94K. I even pulled trailers without trailer brakes.

It has nothing to do with brakes, but my gas pedal feels really soft. When i start to accelerate the first bit of travel on the gas pedal has no feed back and then as you continue to increase you feel more feedback. Is this inital soft feeling normal?

bob

Where did you get this info? I've never read or heard anywhere that the Silverado SS uses brake-by-wire. From everything I've read, GM's brake-by-wire systems will require a 42V electrical system.

Sorry but none of these trucks have electric brakes.

they do have an electronic vaccuum pump to help increase vaccuum when it needs more, im sure there could be some way to mod it to increase the vaccum and make the pedal more firm

The throttle is drive-by-wire. There really is no feedback from it because it doesn't have anything but a module down at the pedal to rotate. The rest is an electrical wire that goes to the control module.

And on the brake thing, my 2500HD definitely had better brakes and brake feel. No mushy feel, and less effort to stop. But that is something to expect considering the loads that the HD truck had stop. Brembo 13" drilled when money allows! They would look good through the wheels anyway. They require at least 18" wheels.

Just a note on the Baer Eradispeed: I have had a set on order for about 8 weeks now and get a new, yet redundant response every time I call about them. Originally it was 4 weeks; at 3 weeks it was 3 more weeks; last week it was 2-3 more weeks. The nice lady I talked to the last time said that they are having trouble getting the brackets from one of their sources.

By the way, Baer had no apparent delay in billing my debit card the day of my order.

Oh well, I guess these things happen.

Archived